Who We Are
Home / Who We Are
Media Focus on Africa is a non-profit Communication for development (C4D) organisation, which is using the media to push for social change. The founders believed in the value of the media as a critical platform for debate and review of development issues. Their ambition was to urge local and international organisations to acknowledge the value of the media in promoting development issues thus integrating communication components within their programmes.
MFA produces contextualized media programmes that provide a space for people to voice their aspirations on development issues. Since its foundation, the organisation has implemented cutting edge multi-media strategies, designed drama series and new media tools promoting good leadership & governance, free & fair elections, peace building & reconciliation, while mainstreaming gender perspectives and promoting socio-economic justice. MFA has been registered in Kenya since 2005 and in Uganda since 2011.
What we stand by
Media Focus Mantra
Vision & Mission
VISION: A democratic Africa, whose citizens are well- informed and empowered to participate in
MISSION: To stimulate social change and development in Africa through media
MFA promotes the concept of communication for development (C4D), as a means to empower people through carefully targeted and contextualized messages on key themes leading to social change.
MFA provides space for people to voice their aspirations on issues of leadership and governance, free and fair elections, peace building and nationhood, while mainstreaming gender and socio-economic justice.
- Identify and accelerate communication that enables people hold governments accountable.
- Enable collective analysis and action by the people most affected by a development or governance issue.
- Convey basic information and use simple, culturally appropriate language to get that information out.
- Use mass media and new media strategically to convey information and connect people
MFA’s key competencies are:
- Broadcasting management;
- Film, television and radio productions;
- Cross media communication strategies;
- Behavioural change communication campaigns through social mobilization and mass communication;
- Training of journalists, CSO’s on thematic issues and practical skills;
- New Media applications (SMS – Interactive Websites);
- Research in primary data (Focus Group Discussions and Key Informant Interviews);
- Media buying.
MFA maintains a core group of staff members and has access to a mobile pool of experts with long-standing experience and expertise in the international and African media. Our Strengths are:
- Open mindedness
- Consciousness of the changing environment
- Innovative Strategies
- International multidisciplinary team %23
- External Networks
MFA develops and produces media programmes for social change. Multi-media campaigns that simultaneously harness the potential of television, radio, print, mobile phones, and the Internet, have proved to be very effective at providing a wide range of actors within a common space to voice their concerns and aspirations.
The People Who put it all together
Partner & Donors
All rights reserved 2023 | Terms and Conditions Apply 2023